CARD Werdwet Research Fellowship Program (Werdwet Fellowship) is launched by CARD to promote indigenous knowledge to fight inequality and look for ways of protecting the rights for minorities and vulnerable groups. The research fellowship program will also give women and youth opportunities to pursue their passion of researching and promoting their ideas to bring about a just society.
CARD Werdwet Research Fellowship Program is named after Yeqaqe Werdwet, a woman who lived about 160 years ago in the 19th century and who fought for equal rights in marriage among the Guraghe community.
Werdwet Fellows 2020 are expected to work full time on their research for seven months and CARD will provide working space, hire part-time advisors (when needed) and allocate budget for all necessary and related expenses. At the completion of her/his research, each fellow is expected to facilitate two panel discussions or consultation meetings to disseminate their research findings. In addition to that, CARD, will publish their reports and disseminate them in both soft and hard copies to the public and identified stakeholders.
1st June 2020 – December 31, 2020
Number of Fellows:
Required Thematic Areas:
- Traditional ways of fighting gender imbalance in a given community of Ethiopia;
- Historical resistances for and/or against gender equality in a given community in Ethiopia;
- Gender inequality and freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and/or organizing;
- Gender inequality and its effect on reproductive health;
- Traditional means of entertaining special needs, marginalized and vulnerable groups’ voices and etc.
(Applicants are more encouraged to deliver a proposal that derives a narrower/specific topic in the above-mentioned thematic areas of researches.)
Applicants to Werdwet Fellowship 2020 must email the following separate documents via firstname.lastname@example.org before April 30, 2020 at 5:30 PM.
- Research Proposal (1000 words, in either English or Amharic)
- Detailed budget needed to conduct the research (one page)
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant
- Direct letter of reference from person to CARD via email (siblings cannot be reference persons)
Applicants of Werdwet Fellowship 2020 are expected to:
- be between the age of 22 and 35;
- be citizens of Ethiopia;
- have good command of at least one Ethiopian local language and English;
- have at least bachelor’s degree or four years of experience in relation to the area of their proposed research topic.
- Screening of applicants will be held based on requirements and eligibility.
- Shortlisting of candidate Werdwet Fellows 2020 done by three juries at CARD; criteria will be determined by juries. Shortlisted candidate Werdwet Fellows will be notified via email by 15th of May 2020.
- One-to-one interview with shortlisted candidate Werdwet Fellows 2020 will be held (physically, via calls or internet communication as necessary) from 18th – 22th of May 2020.
- Selected Werdwet Fellows 2020 will be notified selection on 27th of May 2020.