Applications call for Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge 2020
Join a global movement to prepare, adapt and respond to the most pressing challenges in food and water. Nurture breakthrough ideas, apply human-centered design to engineering innovative hardware solutions that help achieve the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
About the Challenge
Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge brings together engineering communities focused on changing the world, and the resources of a leading, top-10 global software company that’s been addressing the needs of society for more than 170 years. We’re doing this to provide engineers with platforms to expand what’s humanly possible, creating new spaces to dream, innovate and develop solutions to drive us toward achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Those who engage in this challenge will have access to the Siemens software and technologies that have already enabled its users to cut product development cycle times in half. Now in addition to speed to market, engineers can focus on speed to society, delivering the solutions needed to achieve a more equal world by 2030.
- Zero Hunger Track: Design a postharvest off-grid preservation technology
- Clean Water Track: Design a very low-cost, energy-efficient, scalable technology for desalinating brackish water
One winner/winning team will be selected for the track. The winner will receive $10,000 USD and the opportunity to meet Siemens USA CEO in person. In addition to that, the winner will be promoted across Siemens USA and Engineering for Change platforms and receive exclusive invitations to an industry event.
In order to enter, candidates must
- Submit a text-based application, explaining the problem area you are addressing and your proposed solution.
- Submit a short (60 seconds maximum) video introducing your team and product concept.
- Research and explore the needs of the end-user.
- Design the concept in 3D CAD.
- Iterate the design based on the research you have conducted and provide justification for your decisions.
- Simulate how the product works.
- Submit a video pitch of the proposed solutions.
Design Challenge Submission Checklist
- Sign-up as a member on the Engineering for Change (E4C) website. It’s free!
- Familiarize yourself with the Resources section, in particular —
- SDGs and 50 Breakthroughs
- Tools provided by E4C and Siemens
- Identify a problem, or opportunity, within one of the two stated challenge tracks above. Consider prior-art and how access, efficiency and/or usability might be improved through design, engineering or manufacturing.
- Review the Design Parameters document for your selected track. (below)
- Assemble a team. While individuals may participate by themselves, it is highly beneficial to leverage diverse backgrounds. Team composition will be considered during the judging process.
- Draft an initial solution concept. Note that you will refine this concept over the course of the challenge. Solutions should address one of the two challenges posted. (At the planning & concept phase, concepts may be explorative, but should start to answer the questions listed in the Design Parameters.)
- Log in to your Engineering for Change account and download your free license of Siemens Solid Edge 3D CAD software here.